Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Lightening Thief

The Lightning Thief (PG)
Genre: YA fantasy
Jake's Rating: 2 stars
Cami's Rating: 2 stars

I didn't love the book, but I appreciated where it was coming from, and I can see why kids would like it. So I was actually hoping the movie would improve it. I think my biggest problem was its audience confusion. I'm not sure exactly who it was for. It seemed a little too old, and little too young. And a little too silly with Pierce Brosnan as a centaur.

Summary: A mixed-up kid called Percy discovers he is a demi-god, and is blamed for stealing Zeus's lightening bolt. He goes on a quest to find the bolt and save his mother from Hades, hoping also to stop a war between the gods.

Thoughts: I don't know. It was sometimes a little TOO geared toward teenage boys what with the sexual innuendo or the slang or the something or other. I don't know. It was kind of hard to get through. I'm not sure teenage boys really WANT to watch the movie, but it was too old for younger kids. They did change a lot of the story, but I was ok with that--it maybe  made it easier to understand or more believable . . . ish.

No comments: