Sherlock Holmes (PG-13)
Genre: Action/Mystery
Cami's Rating: 4.5 stars
Jake's Rating: stars
If you know me very well, you will probably know that I LOVED this movie. It is EXACTLY my kind of movie. (A fun heist kind of show with manly friendship and banter--you know, like Ocean's 11. Add to that the costumes and atmosphere of a period film, and voila! Awesome.) I know, it didn't get great reviews, and sure, I see its flaws, but I choose to ignore them and just love the heck out of it anyway. I really, really wanted to see it in the theater and didn't get to. And after we watched it, I decided it was one we should own, so I got it for my birthday. I will probably watch it again soon--not in 30 minute increments that you have to watch things in with sleepy Jake.
Summary: Sherlock and Watson are on the case when a dark and mysterious man returns from the dead and plans on taking over the government. An old and dangerous flame gets mixed in, and Sherlock has more invested than a usual case.
Thoughts: Sadly, instead of comparing how well they've adapted the characters from the books (which I'm sadly out of touch with), I just KEPT seeing House and Wilson in this film--which made me appreciate how well they must have adapted House and Wilson as Holmes and Watson. I love an eccentric genius. I did notice Robert Downey Jr.'s not fantastic accent, but it didn't bother me enough to drive me crazy. And yes, he was kind of a super-hero with all the fighting and whatnot, but I don't mind a little bit of action thrown into a Holmes movie. I was glad they threw in an element of supernatural, since I seem to remember that being pretty authentic. It made me want to read them, and yet I think I can appreciate this as an independent story. They left it wide open for a sequel, and I'm all for it. I highly recommend it. And if you hate it, go ahead and tell me, and I won't even care. I like it that much. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
House & Wilson=Holmes & Watson... How did I ever miss that? I liked this movie okay, I think the cast was good (except maybe for McAdams...) but it seemed like there was more brawn and less brains than I like in Holmes.
Post a Comment