The Box (PG-13)
Genre: ???
Cami's Rating: 2 1/2 stars
Jake's Rating:
Weird, weird, weird, strange. This seems like the kind of movie Jake and I would absolutely love. And yet, it just didn't know what it wanted to be! Notice the ??? on genre? Is it drama? Psychological thriller? Conspiracy? Sci-fi? Horror? It morphed into each of them. It still intrigues me, it was still an interesting concept, and yet, it wasn't what I wanted it to be in the end.
Summary: A box shows up at the door with instructions that someone would be visiting them to explain the contents. Inside is a strange box with a button. A stranger visits them to explain that if they push the button in 24 hours, someone will die, but they will get 1 million dollars.They must decide whether or not to believe the stranger, and whether or not to push the button.
Thoughts: This concept, all on its own, is awesome. I like to see how people might react to such a situation, and wonder what I would do as well. And for the first half of the movie, I really feel like it was about choice and consequence and all that. And then there is government conspiracy. And then there is supernatural/alien. And then the whole thing just got jumbled, and there were more choices about how should live or be blind, and some sort of door made of water, and all sorts of things that just confused me until I lost my way. From what I've heard from other viewers, it was pretty much the same for everyone. Plus, WHY oh WHY did we give Cameron Diaz a southern accent? They live in Virginia. She doesn't need one. That's really all I have to say. I think there was some really great acting, and some great potential--it just didn't live up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I actually really liked this one. It had some mixed reviews (add this one to the lot), but I thought it was imaginative and it kept me guessing.
Post a Comment