The Lovely Bones (PG-13)
Genre: Drama
Cami's Rating: 3 stars
Jake's Rating: 3.5 stars
I made the mistake of reading the book first. Again, this is one that was WAY better as a movie, interpreted and changed a bit. But taken on its own, it was creatively done, but still seemed unfinished and a little different than you think it's going to be.
Summary: A 13-year-old girl is killed and never found, and we see her family and friends ripped apart as they try to deal with death, while Suzy tries to help her family and let go of her life at the same time.
Thoughts: They made it a little bit better in the movie, but I still feel annoyed that the thing that Suzy stays around for is not really her family, but to have a romantical moment with her boyfriend--who, by the way, is in his 20s when they finally DO have a moment, and in his mind and hers, she is still 13, so that is gross. The family is still a mess, but I see that they are trying to move on. But the thing I think they really did better in the movie is the inbetween where Suzy stays--it is much more vivid and colorful and abstract than in the book, which Jake and I like (we are fans of the movie What Dreams May Come), so that was interesting and well-done. I don't like Stanley Tucci being a gross pedophile killer man, but he was good at it. Some people may love this movie, but I think it was just ok. The fact that I don't HATE it says a lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I agree, it played much better than the book did. Still seemed to kind of be missing something though...
Post a Comment