Monday, February 8, 2010

Serenity

Serenity (PG-13)

Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure
Jake's Rating:
Cami's Rating: 5 stars

This is the second time we've watched this. We bought it immediately after the first time, and didn't open our copy until the other day. I wanted my mom to watch it. I can safely say this is one of my favorite movies. Even though I had a vague idea of how awesome it was from the last time I watched it, I had forgotten all the sheer genius of it. Whether you've seen the series Firefly or not, I'm pretty sure this movie will rock your world.

Summary: It is the future, people are living on several different planets. River is a gifted child who has been captured and experimented on by the government. Her brother breaks her out and is on the run from those who believe River knows dangerous secrets. They are on a ship called Serenity with some space-age cowboys, who are just out to make a buck. But when a powerful hit-man comes after them, there is no hiding, and there's no running from the secret River's kept hidden either. They have to decide whether to hide, or fight for the greater good.

Thoughts: So, besides being completely awesome (once you get used to the interesting slang), you finally get to see River come alive. I'm not really one for violence, but seeing River fight, you just somehow believe it, and it is really, really cool. And I'm just such a fan of the cast. I think they're funny, and believable and noble at the same time. This could have just turned into an adventure movie with pretty cheesy fight scenes and no real characterization, but besides a few minor details (Anora really has nothing to do with anything), you really get to know these characters, and care about them, even if you haven't watched the series. Besides all of that, I really liked the big secret River has been holding on to. It really shows us that it truly is a dystopian tale. For those LDS folk, it was really like Satan's plan. If the message is that free will is important and worth dying for, it's usually a good story in my eyes. Please watch it!

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Just requested it from the library :)