Dear John (PG-13)
Genre: Chick Flick
Cami's Rating: 3
I went to this with some girls for a birthday party. I mean, as far as Nicholas Sparks movies go, it wasn't SO bad. And I did have fun--but it was mostly because we were predicting what would happen next and making fun of cheesy parts. In our group of 20 or so, about 5 cried, and I'll admit, there were some feelings of tenderness at one point, but seriously, I wonder why we've come to this. Don't we want more than shallow manipulated emotions?
Summary: A soldier meets a girl on leave, and only has a year until we is discharged. They write and become close and plan to spend forever together. Then 9-11 hits and he re-enlists. Will they survive? And what about his Autistic father? Will our soldier ever come to terms with the conflicts in his life??
Thoughts: Seriously, must Nick Sparks always choose the MOST trendy conflicts and make books and movies about them? Autism is trendy, so we got to have a lot of that. Of course, the kid is the MOST charming autistic child in the world. And of course the girl wants to be a special educator and is very perceptive and quirky. And then we add soldiers and 9-11 and make his father autistic too. Let a couple people die, let a couple lovers be separated, and voila, you have a movie all the girlies love. I guess they made the ending "happier" than the book, but I actually predicted both endings, so neither was very clever. I didn't like the dude--he had no personality. In fact, no one really did. They're all stereotypes. But, you know, if you like movies that make you want to cry, and you allow them to, I guess it's ok. I wouldn't call it a complete waste of time--unless I'd watched it at home alone. Again, I didn't have any expectations, so I guess I was pleasantly surprised that it was not AS gaggy as I expected.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I was wondering why you'd go see this movie :)
Post a Comment