Gone With the Wind (PG)
Genre: Classic
Cami's Rating: 5 stars
I watched this with my book group (well, 2 members anyway) after we read the book. What can really be said? It's fantastic. I didn't cry in the book, but I cried in the movie. I've seen it before, but somehow, all 4-hours of this classic just never get old. Fantastic!!
Summary: Scarlett the brat does stupid things during the civil war.
Thoughts: So, sure, they left out quite a bit from the book (she has 3 children, not 1!), but they captured the essence perfectly. My only complaint is that they made Ashley too good--he's really quite a cad. I hated him in the book, but I actually hate him worse in the movie. Honor my foot! He's just squirelly. If they'd had someone a little bit better looking, it would have been easy for me to believe Scarlett would choose Ashley over the dashing (and hardly shocking) Rhett. They also toned down racial language and issues for sure. They didn't tell us that the "political meetings" the husbands go to is really the KKK. In fact, almost all politics from the book are taken out, and it felt to me they focused more on the love story and less on the war--which is fine with me. You've got to choose one theme and go with it--the love story is the best part for a movie. Despite the old-movie cheesiness of it all, I really believe it stands the test of time. Truly a classic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
LOVE the summary. :D We'll have to watch this one as part of Oswaldo's on-going course in American culture (I'm not a very diligent professor to have forgotten about it until you mentioned it...).
This movie is SO fantastic. I still only have my double VHS that I got back in the day :)
Post a Comment