Inkheart (PG)
Genre: Kids, fantasy
Jake's Rating: 3.5 stars
Cami's Rating: 3.5 stars
I've never read the book, but Jake recorded this from TV and we thought we'd try to watch it with the kids. I was nervous that it would be too scary (which it did turn out to be, a little, for our sensitive kids), but Jake convinced me that we ought to try to let our growing-up boys watch some more grown-up movies. I don't think it would be too bad for most kids. It's no more scary then, say, the first couple Harry Potter movies. And it has a good story. I enjoyed it and was only nervous for my boys a couple times. Overall, pretty good. I think I would like to read the book.
Summary: Some people have a gift (or a curse) which brings characters out of books into the real world. These people are called "Silvertongues." Unfortunately, when a character from a book comes out, someone from our world goes in. Brendan Fraser's character is a Silvertongue who accidentally sent his wife into the book Inkheart and has been trying to get her out for 9 years. He also brought out a dangerous villain who has been collecting and destroying the book Inkheart and building an evil empire. But with the help of some characters, a bookish aunt, and a lot of guts, they figure out a way to set everything right.
Thoughts: So, the shadow monster was too much for Jeffy (no LOST for him!!). Ethan was out as soon as scary people came and kidnapped the good guys (about 20 minutes in). But other than that, there was not too much I'd be worried about my kids seeing. As for us, we enjoyed it well-enough. It was an interesting plot--a little too intricate for younger kids--and the acting was good. There were quite a few seasoned actors who were wonderful. I enjoyed all the allusions to other books, and it's just a fun idea in the first place. There were tender moments as well. Not one I'm going to rave about, but I liked it well enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment