Shutter Island (R--edited)
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Jake's Rating: 4 stars
Cami's Rating: 4 stars
I was worried this would be one of those possessed, evil type films, and was a little nervous to watch it. However, when I found out it was more about an insane asylum, I consented to watch it. I am happy to say, I was NOT freaked out--at least enough to lose sleep or whatever--and that is a good thing. I was only freaked out in a sort of Twilight Zone kind of way.
Summary: A detective is sent to an asylum to find a missing patient, and finds there may be corruption and intrigue linked to his wife's death and is determined to get to the truth without becoming trapped on the island himself.
Thoughts: I DID actually see the twist coming, but not in quite the way it happened. I was a little annoyed by the wife with fake accent, and a little disturbed by the truth about his family. But I really, really liked the ending. Although there is some dispute about what ACTUALLY happened, I know he was still "sane" when he pretended not to be, and really, who would want to live with that horrible past? I think there were probably some continuity flaws, but I actually think they did really well fooling us throughout.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I liked it all right too, but I felt kind of let down by the ending. It's like it was building up for another big twist, but went for the smaller, more obvious one instead. Still pretty interesting. DiCaprio isn't aging very well, I don't think.
Post a Comment