Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bleak House

Bleak House (TV mini series)
Genre: Period Drama
Jake's Rating:
Cami's Rating: 5 stars

Everybody loves this mini series. Some people in my family have watched its many hours multiple times. Jake finally consented to give it a try, and it took us MONTHS to get through it all, because he insisted on getting the Blu-ray DVDs from Netlix instead of watching it on Instant Play. There you go. It was FANTASTIC. So great. Very well done. Funny, interesting, scary, romantic, frustrating, whatever. Very Dickens.

Summary: A long-drawn-out court case brings people together, tears them apart, and even has murder thrown into the mix. (Really, that's the best I can do with such a complicated plot!)

Thoughts: There were lots of twists, but I kind of predicted them all--I knew who the murderer was all along! BUT, having said that, it was NOT really a predictable movie, and I was kept guessing nonetheless. It was creepy and sad and funny all at the same time. Jake liked it when they made fun of the name of the house: "This house was bleak INDEED without you all here!" and also he always called it "The Adventures of the Wards of Bleakhouse" in a really high ridiculous voice, but it says something that Jake wanted to keep watching it all, even if he did fall asleep. I was really happy with the ending, but poor Jarndice! I wish he could have found a girl for himself.

No comments: