Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Road

The Road (R--edited)
Genre: Post-apocolypse
Jake's Rating: 
Cami's Rating: 3.5 stars

I have had this book on my shelf to read for years, and have been a little nervous to read it, but I don't know why. I had NO idea what it was about. Several minutes into the movie Jake had to explain that it was post-apocolyptic. So, are you going to get any warm fuzzies from this movie? No. Do you have to edit it? Only  if you don't want to see cannibalism and whatnot. It is disturbing and heart-wrenching, but in the end, hopeful.

Summary: A man tries to keep himself and his son alive as they try to go south to warmer climate after a nuclear holocaust. The road they travel is bleak and dangerous, and they must continue to find a reason to keep on going.

Thoughts: Having seen the movie, I do NOT think I'll read the book. I hear it is even more gruesome, and I watched it edited! Very disturbing. It was very slow-moving, but we found it interesting enough to watch it all in one sitting and wonder what would happen at every turn. I must admit, I sometimes wished they would just die and be done with it, but that is not what the human spirit is about, and in the end, I was glad some the kid had survived. It was very well acted, and did not leave me depressed, which such a dark and dreary movie could have done.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

So, I actually loved the book. There are a few horrible parts, but the relationship between the dad and the son was so well written. I don't think I actually want to watch a movie about it though :)