Thursday, April 1, 2010

Longitude

Longitude (TV miniseries)

Genre: Historical
Cami's Rating: 4 stars

Jake fell asleep, but he says he was intrigued, just tired. My parents brought this over. It was part of a multi-disk "Adventure Pack" that had some fun movies in it. This was the only historical/documentary type one. It's actually from a book (my mom says is fascinating) and is about how they established how to tell Longitude at sea. Very interesting, but slow-moving, and yet it kept my interest for 4 hours (over 2 days). Quite well done.

Summary: A carpenter and clock enthusiast dedicates his life to making a time-piece that will keep reliable time at sea. He and his son work against weather, illness, dangerous sea voyages, war, and political corruption to finally succeed only 2 years from the end of his life. Another plot-line involves a man who is restoring the clocks between WWI and WW2. His obsession costs him his family, his job, and eventually, even his clocks.

Thoughts: So, Dumbledore is in it! (I think it's about 10 years old, so I guess he wasn't Dumbledore.) But the acting is wonderful, and considering that you'd never think this story could actually make a good movie, it was really fascinating. I had to kind of give up on understanding how keeping time would establish longitude, and things like that, but I believed them, and that was good enough. I must say there were a couple breasts here and there that have NOTHING to do with anything, but really, the movie is extremely tame. Who knows why they got put in there. (But Jake says he did wake up when I said, "Is that a breast?") Anyway, if you are interested in history, sea voyages, or politics, you would probably really enjoy this miniseries.

No comments: