Friday, March 19, 2010

Sunshine Cleaning

Sunshine Cleaning (R) edited

Genre: indy/drama
Jake's Rating: 3 stars
Cami's Rating: 4 stars

I'm rating this 4 stars mostly because it evoked strong emotions in me--perhaps unrelated ones--but if I'm being objective about the movie, it's probably more of a 3-3.5. I don't know what I expected of it, maybe a dark comedy? But it wasn't quite what I expected. it was definitely more heart-felt.

Summary: Two sisters, who tragically lost their mother as young girls, start a crime-scene cleaning service and unsuspectingly learn how to deal with their loss in the process.

I don't know if it was because it was edited to the point of not actually seeing a speck of blood or because it just wasn't the point of the movie, but I thought it would be much gorier, if that makes sense. The cleaning really took a back seat to the characters here. Each of the sisters was quite damaged in their own way, and I liked how they learned a little something, even if it wasn't dramatic. And even though they never talk in detail about what happened to their mother years before, I felt their loss keenly with them. That is where I think the movie succeeded the most, and that's why I shed many a post-movie tear. It's not a favorite, but it was worth watching.

1 comment:

Drew said...

We liked this one too. It was a little surprising to me, which is fine, and Amy Adams is always excellent, I say. A little bizarre, but still charming in its own way.