Goodfellas (R)--edited on TV
Genre: Drama
Jake's Rating: 4 stars
Cami's Rating: 3 stars
This is considered one of the best movies ever made. And for the genre, it probably is. But Jake and I are not the most in love with mobster movies viewers out there. They always have a lot of language and violence, so when we edit them, they end up choppy to say the least. But we found this on TV and decided to give it a try. It definitely kept our attention. It was horrible and sad and fascinating.
Summary: A true story of kid who grows up with the dream of being in the Sicilian mob. He gets in good early and lives the lifestyle for around 30 years before he has to decide whether he'll turn in his friends to stay out of prison. Based on the book Wise Guys.
Thoughts: I suppose it was really well done. It seemed realistic--believable. I saw how it all happened, and yet was in total disbelief about how completely amoral this group really was. And at the same time, I was sad that their community of relatively clean thieves turned into murderers so easily. Our hero seemed to stay out of the murdering part for a while, but his hands were never clean. So there are no likeable characters in the whole movie. No one to really root for at all. I guess that was the drawback for me. Also, I was fine with the narration, but when it jumped to his wife a few times out of the blue, it felt a little out of place for me. Other than that, an interesting life sketch from an insider turned outsider. Makes me glad I'm just a regular old gal!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment