District 9 (R)--edited
Genre: Drama/Suspense
Jake's Rating: 5 stars
Cami's Rating: 4.5 stars
Yes, this is our first 5-star rating! We just couldn't really find anything we didn't like about it. (I have actually changed my rating, to 4.5 because it has to be MORE to be 5 stars, I guess. A deeper meaning? An absolute fave?) It was really late, and we meant to just start it, but we had to finish in the wee hours of the morning. Jake didn't fall asleep (surprising! and always a good sign), and I pretty much had my hand over my mouth the entire time. Quite intense.
Summary: An alien spacecraft hovers over Johannesburg for months before humans break in and find malnourished and stranded aliens. After 20 years of housing the aliens in a refugee camp-turned-slum, the crime and disorder cause the government to move them to a new camp. This documentary-style film follows the head of the organization through the eviction process and his own transformation as he comes to understand the aliens a little bit better, and a government conspiracy is uncovered.
Thoughts: Some people don't love documentary-style films, but I think they're great. There are no well-known actors, so you really start to believe in what's happening. The documentary doesn't quite hold throughout, as we see some of the aliens interacting amongst themselves, as well as the main character from time to time, but it didn't seem to take us out of the flow of things. And although it had to potential to become cheesy at times (the aliens eat catfood, and the main dude does sort of become Iron Man at one point), it was well-done enough for all of it to seem completely believable and matter-of-fact. Jake enjoyed the special effects, and I felt the acting was convincing and the characters well-developed. I'm pretty sure there are over 100 f-words in this one, and some violence, and even edited it was pretty intense. But well worth the watch for sure. (ClearPlay watchers should know, there are some subtitles with profanity that will not be edited.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment