Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Fourth Kind

Ok, seems I have been prey to a MOVIE HOAX! Akin to The Blair Witch, they have made an alien abduction movie which claims to be based on actual events with actual videos, and all that stuff. I mean, they really take it the extra mile and pretend to be re-filming the events of the actual footage and show them side by side. I didn't believe in the alien abduction business, but I believed in the videos, and my explanation was much scarier than aliens, so I'm glad to find out absolutely NOTHING I saw on tonight's movie was actually real. I should still have stayed away from it. I don't love possessed people movies. It's funny, too, because I also just watched Shutter Island, which I thought would COMPLETELY freak me out, and I just thought it was really well done and it made me really sad. Very strange.


If you are interested in reading what I just wrote before Jake told me that the people at Universal were complete liars, read on:

I have 3 other movies in my review queue waiting to be reviewed, but I'm going to do this one, now, right after I watched it, just to get it out of my head, I hope forever. I've decided I don't even want a picture of it. Go and find it if you're interested.

The Fourth Kind (PG-13)
Genre: Sci-Fi/Horror/Documentary
Ratings: I refuse.

So, when Jake said he got an alien abduction movie, I was all for it. I like X-Files. I enjoyed Signs. But when things get "real," I am not a fan. I don't like it when TV shows use actual footage of people being shot in a gas station or whatnot. I don't think that's right. I'll watch Law and Order every day my entire life and never freak out, but show me one weird security video of an actual person's life being taken, and I'm not ok, for a long, long time. It sticks with me.

Well, this "movie" had that and more. Don't read any further if you don't want to know. We didn't know that the movie was based on actual events, or that the real video tapes from the police and the therapy sessions would be included. I should have known from the very first recording (a man remembering his alien abduction during hypnosis--he freaks out) that I should not watch the rest. But I continued, and if you have seen it, or watch it after this glowing review, you will know why. Once you start, you just have to finish it--to get all the information and try to figure out how it could all be fake.

Anyway, I continued, and what I got next was the actual footage (with some blurring) of a man killing his wife, his children, and then himself. They act it out in a split-screen type of way--perhaps to take away the horror of the REAL, but it didn't work for me. I just watched the real tape section of the screen. Then another patient experiences his abduction, freaks out, and nearly chokes on his own vomit (yes, this is a real tape), and then in another session freaks completely out and possibly dies--we fast-forwarded that part (Added later--I found out later that he floats over the bed--wish I had watched that part, I may have been clued in!). Next, a cassette recording of our main character (a psychologist trying to figure out what's going on in her small Alaska town), who fell asleep dictating to the tape, experiencing her own abduction--complete with an alien talking to her in ancient Sumarian through her psychotic screaming. And to top it all off, she herself goes under hypnosis, recounts her own abduction complete with convulsions, and then speaks in a freaky voice in Sumarian saying what the alleged aliens say to her (the tape is fuzzy and crazy, but they pause on her scariest faces and let you see the convulsing)--the aliens say many things, the last of which is "I am God." Her face while she is saying that is the most horrific thing I may have ever seen.

-----That is where I stopped and Jake told me it was all fake. I figured some of it was anyway, but the first thing he told me was that the Dr. Abagail is a fictional person and an actress (it's weird, they have TWO people playing her in the movie--very strange), but I still thought the rest of the "real" footage was real. After much research, and no definitive answers on the web, we believe it all to be fakey, fakey, fake fake, so I'm glad I didn't actually watch an people possessed by the devil or killing their families in my house tonight. Phewf! (I did wonder why something showing an ACTUAL murder suicide was not rated R.) Now to still try to get those horrible images out of my head.

As my sis Lili would say, "Now let's watch something Jolly!"

1 comment:

Drew said...

I was a little disappointed with this movie. I really like scary movies, but this one seemed to have an agenda (but why, I have no idea). The stars even came out before the film and talked about how the footage was so real, but then in the deleted scenes, you can hear the director calling action for one of the "real footage" takes. WTH?!? At least the actors of Blair Witch didn't come out at the start and say it was based on a true story. Of course, I think there are elements of the film that are based on true events or accounts from people, but it went SO far out of its way to try to convince me it was real. (I thought Dr. Abigail was a real person, for example...)

Also, I thought it would be more scary.